Hooked on Needles

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Rainbow Swap Progress

Have you ever had a quilt design idea in your head, and you try it out, and it doesn't work, but something else even better comes of it? Well, that is what happened when I started cutting and sewing on these Rainbow Swap Squares that I showed you the other day. I had this idea stewing around in my head since receiving these squares back from the swap hostess, Craftytammie. When it was finally time to start cutting fabric and sewing it to the colorful squares and laying it out, my idea didn't work. Not at all. It made me wonder what I was thinking in the first place. How could it have been so wrong? But wait! Turn this block, turn that block, oooooh I'm liking what I'm seeing here! Not at all what I had planned, but I'm very pleased with the progress so far. Take a look...

Rainbow Swap ProgressHere you can see that each square of fabric has been bordered just on two sides with a small white sashing.

Rainbow Swap ProgressBy alternating how each block is positioned, the color squares don't line up exactly but each square is still bordered on all sides with the white sashing.

Rainbow Swap ProgressI really love the looks of this layout and can't wait to have a few hours to sew it all together. Then I'll have to decide on backing and binding. Any suggestions? Should I go with a solid color for one or both? Should I try to find a colorful stripe for the binding and piece a scrappy backing? What would you do? I'd love to know!

Happy Stitching!

Click here to return to HookedOnNeedles.com

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

• It is beautiful! I love rainbows. The white borders and turning the blocks is very clever.

If it were me, I'd be looking for stripes for the binding. I used rainbow stripes on a quilt for my daughter and I've always loved seeing it.

The backing? Hmm, not sure. But I bet you'll know it when you see it.

By Blogger CraftyMummy, At July 10, 2011 at 7:04 AM

• The two sided border is FAB! I'm fairly new at quilting and have been wondering how to get the effect you achieved. A two sided border never crossed my mind. Thanks!

By Blogger Donna, At July 10, 2011 at 7:08 AM

• Wow, and it's even better that w/o the sashes! I have liked the quilts I've done with the 2-sided sashing, it gives a little off centered feel for a little more modern appearance, besides bring fun!

By Blogger Pokey, At July 10, 2011 at 11:28 AM

• Beautiful to see the colors all graduating in a formation. I think a stripe binding would really look nice.

By Blogger Nedra, At July 10, 2011 at 11:52 AM

• Love it! Looking good! An inspiring idea MG!! Stripes for binding. Are you doing a border at all? If so, maybe a piano key border?

By Blogger Myra, At July 10, 2011 at 12:52 PM

• Love the rainbow effect - so cheery!

By Blogger annemarie, At July 10, 2011 at 9:20 PM

• I love how this is turning out! I would pass on the stripes-too much I think. Just a plain white binding would be perfect!

By Blogger boofsmom, At July 11, 2011 at 12:27 AM

• I love this. I am totally drawn to rainbow-y quilts, so this is right up my alley. It's going to be gorgeous. I like the idea of a scrappy pieced binding in rainbow colors.

Gwen
    Gwenny Penny

By Blogger Gwen @ Gwenny Penny, At July 11, 2011 at 9:02 AM

• Oh, I lke what you are doing!!!

By Blogger Jane's Fabrics and Quilts, At July 12, 2011 at 4:04 PM

• Thank you so much for joining our party this week, thank you for helping us be a success.
    you are featured this week at

Maggie