Hooked on Needles

Sunday, November 2, 2008

How to Crochet a Border Around a Knitted Piece

After working on my first Oddball Baby Blanket which was knitted all except for the border which was crocheted, I thought that making a little video tutorial on how to work a single crochet border around a knitted piece might be helpful to some knitters out there who are not very confident with a crochet hook. And now that I think of it, it might also be helpful to confident crocheters who are not very comfortable working on a knitted piece too.

This technique can be used to crochet a border around a knitted baby blanket as is done on all the knitted Oddball Blankets, and other things too. You could knit squares for a patchwork type of afghan and crochet a simple border around them before joining them together. I find joining squares with a crocheted border much easier than joining the edges of knitted squares. Another good use for this technique would be for knitted dishcloths or face clothes which tend to be a bit stretchy. Crocheting a simple border around them would help them retain their shape better and reduce the stretch factor.

Take a look at the video and then maybe give it a try on your next knitted project.

If you would like to work a decorative border after the single crochet border but you are not sure how to do one, take a look at the Finished Oddball Baby Blanket and try the border pattern given there. I'll be posting a video on how to do that border pattern soon, just in case someone out there would rather See It Done!

Happy Stitching!

Click here to return to HookedOnNeedles.com

Labels: , , , , ,

• Thanks! very helpful indeed.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At December 10, 2008 at 7:44 AM

• I've never understood crochet but this video was perfect for a simple border on my knitted blanket! Very clear and easy to catch on to! Thanks!

By Anonymous Anonymous, At January 26, 2009 at 6:37 PM

• This was a very clear video and I made my crocheted border perfect the first time! Thanks so much.

By Blogger Mindy, At August 15, 2009 at 10:11 PM

• Thank you so much for letting me know you found this video helpful! Makes it all worthwhile! :)

Happy stitching!

By Blogger Mary Grace McNamara, At August 15, 2009 at 10:36 PM

• Thank you! This is just what I needed. You did a great job of showing it and explaining it.

By Blogger Abby, At September 22, 2009 at 10:24 PM

• can you please do a video of half double crochet border on knitted piece? your videos are clear, i am a beginner.

By Blogger Asma A, At November 14, 2009 at 2:17 PM

• Thank you so much for this video! It's been so helpful to me as a knitter, but very beginner crocheter!

By Blogger Emily, At November 27, 2010 at 9:05 PM

• Thank you - excellent instructions. My problem is some of the knitted pieces are not exactly the same size, so I plan to crochet around the edges (in the square's colour)and adding some extra rows to the smaller pieces. Then when pieces are of a uniform size I will crochet the pieces together with one main colour.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At March 10, 2011 at 11:47 AM

• I agree with what others have said, this is a PERFECT video. I love how slow you took it and how much example you showed. You went into great detail and answered every question I had! I feel very confident and ready to try this on my hat that asks for a crochet border. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

By Blogger Kelsey, At November 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM

• This is wonderful! Looking forward to giving it a try. Thank you!

By Blogger Lindsay, At December 26, 2012 at 9:21 AM