Hooked on Needles

Monday, May 17, 2010

Crocheted Cotton Hotpad/Potholder - video tutorial

Yesterday these fabulous crocheted hot pads made an appearance here at Hooked On Needles. They've been made by generations of practical crafters, and used by them as well. Would you like to make one or two for yourself? Keep reading and you'll find out all you need to know!

Crocheted Cotton Hotpad/PotholderI put these pictures in here just because I love how they turned out. We've been enjoying some gorgeous weather here in New England lately, perfect for picture taking out on the deck in the morning sun! But if you keep reading, you'll get the information you're looking for, I promise!

Crocheted Cotton Hotpad/Potholder
I would love to be able to sit with each one of you and walk you through crocheting one of these double thick cotton hot pads, but these videos will have to suffice. Blogger was not cooperating when I tried to publish one video, so I split it into Part One and Part Two and was successful. It actually worked out pretty well since Part One shows how to begin the pattern and get to the point of just having to work hundreds of single crochet stitches. Then Part Two starts up at the point where all the single crocheting is done and it's time to make the loop and finish the seam.

If you're new to crocheting, you may want to brush up on these skills: chain stitch and single crochet.

Now grab your 2 ounce ball of worsted weight crochet cotton, a size H hook, and get cozy. We're going to make us a cotton hot pad! (If two videos do not appear below, you might try using a different browser. Internet Explorer seems to like them, but Firefox sometimes does not!)

video

video

Here's the written instructions to which you can refer in case you need to refresh your memory on how to get started:

Crocheted Cotton Hot Pad/Pot Holder

2 ounce ball worsted weight crochet cotton
size H crochet hook

Begin by working 37 chain stitches.
Work 3 single crochet (sc) in 2nd chain from hook.
Sc in every chain until one chain remains.
3 sc in last chain.
Work 1 sc into the other side of each chain stitch.
Work 1 sc into first sc and continue working 1 sc into each stitch for 18 or 19 rounds, until the two ends of the top round meet when folded towards each other.
Stop crocheting at a point half way between two ends. Work 15 chain stitches for loop and join with slip stitch into same sc as last stitched worked. Cut yarn, leaving a tail about 1 yard long, and draw tail through loop. Using the long tail, whip stitch both sides of single crochet to each other forming a flat square. Secure end, weave into the inside of the hot pad, clip tail and enjoy!

I've listed a handful of these great hot pads in my Etsy shop if you would like to have one but don't want to make it yourself. I'm also happy to take custom orders for one or two, or even for a large number of them if you want to use them for favors at a kitchen bridal shower or give them as gifts.

Coming soon is a cute little sun hat I made by combining parts of a few different hats into one perfect sun hat for a little girl.

Happy Stitching!

Click here to return to HookedOnNeedles.com

Labels: , , , , ,

15 Comments:

• Hey Mary Grace!
    Another great video...thanks for sharing with us...started one tonight....I think I might have made one before a long time ago...LOL! Makes a great potholder, doesn't it?
    Crochet is so fun!
    Merry :)

By Anonymous Merry Thornsburg, At May 17, 2010 at 9:36 PM

• thanks Mary Grace....Just have to get some cotton yarn and start making one,will post it when I am finished.

By Blogger starry, At May 18, 2010 at 1:00 AM

• Thanks MaryGrace. I have some cotton yarn bits laying around so this is a perfect project for them.

By Blogger Rumi, At May 19, 2010 at 9:52 AM

• Thank you so very much. I haven't crocheted since doing my last niece's baby blanket 16 years ago but want to make presents for friends this Christmas. Your directions and the video are fabulous. Particularly since I'd started another diagonal pattern that said start with 27 chain stitches....I ended up with the tiniest hotpad you can imagine. My husband gets my "mistakes" for Christmas.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. My first hotpad under your direction is beautiful and going to my best friend. Now I have (thanks to the confidence you gave me) another 16 balls of yarn to turn into presents!
    Carla

By Anonymous catghish@pacbell.net, At September 5, 2010 at 5:44 PM

• Thank you for this wonderful tutorial. You go slow enough to explain every step very clearly, and in detail; this is exactly how a tutorial should be. I think I can finally learn how to do this. Thank you again. All of your videos have been helpful.

By Blogger Breezed, At August 19, 2011 at 7:58 AM

• Thanks so much for your tutorial. Just discovered how to make these beauties yesterday. It was a puzzle until I saw your tutorial. Especially how you finished it off. Thanks again. Happy yarning. AH. Oklahoma

By Blogger flannelgirl88, At March 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM

• Thanks for the great tutorial. Just found out how to make these beauties yesterday. Couldnt get the finish correct. Now it looks smooth. Taught my Mother (77) over the phone. She was so excited she did it. Thanks again. Oklahoma

By Blogger flannelgirl88, At March 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM

• Great tutorial, but I'm having a problem. I've made a few of these so far and they keep turning out to be rectangular in shape instead of squares.... what am I doing wrong?

By Blogger Angie, At June 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM

• Hi Angie, thanks for your comment. I would say you probably need to do another round or two before you stitch up the seam. Give that a try and see if you can get a square. It could also be that your stitch height is different than your stitch width resulting in a rectangular shape. Perhaps you could try a smaller hook size so your stitches would be a little tighter. I think these double thick crocheted potholders would be great in any shape!

MGM

By Blogger Mary Grace McNamara, At June 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM

• Thank you so much for this - it was very helpful. I have struggled a bit with this method, but I can see that doing three single crochets at each end will make all the difference :-)

By Anonymous Marie-in-DK, At March 20, 2014 at 8:04 AM

• I have made thse before and had no problems. Now I've mad one that isn't coming together to stitch up and close. What did I do wrong?

By Blogger Chris Braxmaier, At July 15, 2014 at 10:04 AM

• Hi Chris, sorry it's not working out for you! The only thing I can think of is that maybe you are adding stitches in each round, or maybe you have not stitched enough rounds yet and you need a few more before the edges will meet. Hard to know unless I see your work! Keep trying!

MGM

By Blogger Mary Grace McNamara, At July 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM

• I'm HOOKED! No pun intended! What great instructions! Thanks for a great tutorial! I love your voice-- very calming and soothing, and the directions were super clear. Guess what all the ladies in my life are getting for Christmas?! :) Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

By Blogger robin chapa, At August 10, 2014 at 5:03 PM

• Your secret is safe with me, Robin Chapa! I'm so glad you liked this video tutorial. These hotpads are so nice to use, and fun to make too! I use all my leftover scraps of cotton yarn from other projects to make fun color combinations and the diagonal design comes out different on each side. I've seen the cotton yarn on some good sales recently too, so keep an eye out and you can probably save a lot of money on your yarn!

MGM

By Blogger Mary Grace McNamara, At August 10, 2014 at 5:51 PM

• Wow I just typed into Pinterest to find a pattern to crochet a pot holder and I found yours. I have crocheted a long time ago and want to do it again. The really weird thing is my name is also Marygrace and my last name starts with M. So I am also MgM! Thanks for the great video and instructions.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 28, 2014 at 7:05 PM